Friday, November 23, 2007

Good-Bye Brasilito....

Our last night in Brasilito was great. We actually met a Swedish family of 4 (their kids were young like ours), doing a 6 month stint of traveling. They arrived in Costa Rica, and were going to go to Nicaragua, Panama, and Fiji. A great thing to do! During our talks they mentioned loving Thailand and it made me think again how much I would love to go there for a while (long while) and explore that part of the world. Maybe that will be next? Who knows. They have a blog going as-well, but it's in Swedish, I think we will keep in touch with them. We had a nice dinner, and headed off to bed. Our driver was to pick us up around 10 am the next morning and we weren't yet packed. No problem tho, we were getting to be pro's at packing. Monteverde and Santa Elena here we come!!

It felt like a treat to be heading off to the mountains again. Being Canadian, it feels more like home than the sea. Ah, the fresh air, jungle and more. We couldn't wait. Actually, Oscar and I were almost craving it. I think the heat was getting to both of us, me going 'crazy', and poor Oscar would sweat just sitting under a fan! So 10 am rolls around and we're ready and waiting. 10:30 comes and goes. 11 am. During this time the fumigators have come around and are spraying for Dengue mosquitos. Chris yells to the boys to get into the hotel room and close all the windows. It's not really poison that they use, but exhaust fumes. Same difference eh? So as we're hiding from the fumes, Chris is calling to see what's up with our driver. It seems our driver didn't get in until midnight the night before and didn't check his messages, so he didn't know he had to drive us. Not a problem, he would be there in 20 minutes. As we were waiting again, Kwan (the chef at the restaurant), came by to talk with the boys, he really liked the kids, and wanted to buy them some ice-cream before we left. Everyone was so nice to our kids, and took a great liking to them on the first day.
Anyways, our driver came, and we were off. We wanted the boys to sleep during the trip, for one because it's quieter and easier to travel that way, and two so they wouldn't be car sick (once was enough). So they slept. The drive was great. Scenic and calming. At one point we even had a paved road with a center line (the first time I remember!). But then, just as the boys woke up the road took a turn. Bumps, potholes twice the size of our van, and mud everywhere. Up to this point we were making great time, but now I was worried, we only had 34 km to go, how long would this take? Well, the answer is 65 minutes!!! Once we got even closer to the hotel there was one hill we started sliding down, and so we had to turn around and go another way. But we made it and it was better than beautiful. It was heaven.

Now I hate sounding like a broken record, but....... I love this place. I've said it before I know, but I do. It's so different. It's the mountains, and the jungle all put together. We even have a view of the Ocean from our hotel room. (be wary of buying ocean view properties, this could be it, 4 hours away from the sea ha ha !!) I really can't wait to explore this place, and we're all a little sad already that we only have 3 nights here, a week would have been much nicer. But then again we are at Arenal Volcano after this, so it should be great too. The one thing I am regretting now is that I got rid of all but one long sleeve shirt and all of my sweaters in Nosara. Long sleeve shirts I though, who needs them here? Opps, I may be doing a little shopping. At least I saved 2 pairs of socks, and 2 pairs of long pants (and the kids are alright, we have sweaters, pants, socks and raincoats for them, don't worry mom's!)
Alright, enough for now, The hotel is amazing, the restaurant for once since Heredia has fair priced food, and it looks like we're going to have a great time doing some exploring. Talk with you all soon. All our love, The Lukies!

No comments: